I’m well-known by many people for over-packing when I go away. Many a time the words ‘are you moving out or something?!’ are muttered when I’ve got my bags packed for a just week away on holiday. Plus, the scale fear at the airport is completely real. If you read my blog, you’ll know I’ve recently I’ve had a few weekend away here and there in the UK (as featured in my May Faves). Whilst packing, I knew I would get a lot of stick if I over-packed. Therefore, I was determined to find ways to pack lightly and cleverly to make sure I avoided the fall out.
My tips for packing light for a weekend away:
- Choose a decent sized over-night style bag – my bag of choice is the one shown below from Paperchase. I’ve had it a while now and I love it. Good quality, looks fab and fits a decent amount in without getting too bulky.
- Roll up your clothes – roll up everything! Pairs of jeans, tops, cardigans. Slot them in together and they won’t take up much room. It is much better than folding up items.
- Shampoo and conditioner in sachets/miniatures – rather than lugging big bottles around, take away miniatures or even sachets if you’re only planning on washing your hair once.
- Accessories for multiple outfits – now I’m the worst for this, being totally accessory-obsessed, but try to just take away a few accessories that will go with multiple outfits. It will take up less room as well as you having to spend less time faffing and thinking about accessorising outfits on the day.
- Fill up bags/shoes with socks and underwear – you need shoes and you need underwear (and possibly socks), so try to pack them together! There is empty space within the shoes so use it up by stuffing in your underwear and socks. Plus it means your shoes will keep their shape too.
- Share with others – if you’re going away with friends or family, talk about what you can share. That might be hair straighteners, toiletries, and so on. There’s no point having the same items multiple times.
- What will be available? – depending on where you’re going, find out what will be available. This might be towels, bed sheets, a hair dryer or toiletries. It’s always good to know in advance to avoid packing unnecessary things.
- Take things that don’t need to be ironed – you’re not going to be want to be getting the iron out whilst you’re away, so try to pack things that won’t need ironing so you can throw them on without giving it a thought. Plus you won’t need to try to fit an iron in too!
- Minimal make up – minimal make-up is totally my thing most of the time, but I know that might not be the same for everyone. Try and think about what make-up you’ll need, and keep it to a minimum. Maybe you’ve got a compact with multiple products within it, or a lip colour that also doubles up as a blusher.
- What can you travel in? Think about what you are travelling there and back in. That might be one less pair of jeans to pack or a bulky coat that you won’t need to squeeze into a bag.
So these are my tips for packing light. Would you agree with any of these? Have you got any great tips yourself? Let me know in the comments below!
Until next time…