[Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, they will help me to keep this site up and running 🙂 ]
So I very recently celebrated my first wedding anniversary. Like many people before me I’m sure, I wondered where the heck the past year had gone! I couldn’t believe it had been 365 days since the most perfect event, which actually felt like yesterday. As well as reliving every special moment in my head, I knew I needed to be organised and get something nice for the Hubster. We aren’t massive on getting each other presents (after 11 years together, it’s sometimes hard to think of something different!), but I definitely wanted to mark the special occasion by getting him some treats. So here I am going to talk about some ways that we celebrated a year since our wedding date, and hopefully it might inspire you too if your first one is coming up soon!
So first, I needed to know what the traditional gift was to get for the first wedding anniversary. I discovered it was paper…yes you read right – PAPER! What a random theme for a gift. Anyways I knew I wanted to stick with tradition so got my thinking cap on. The only ideas that came to me were printing out first dance lyrics out and also the words to a poem my lovely momma read at our ceremony. After a bit of time spent on Not on the High Street and Etsy (two of my fave websites don’t you know) browsing their lovely designs for inspiration, I actually decided I wanted to make my own prints. I got the prints sorted, and then put them in some plain black frames (I picked up this one times two) and this was how they turned out…
As you can see, I kept it quite simple, and used one of our wedding colours, grey, for the font. I really liked how they turned out! I also found some ideas on Pinterest for gifts you may want to make/buy/do for your other half.
So, once I had finished making these gifts, I knew I wanted to make my gift a bit more. That’s when I decided to get on Groupon. I love Groupon for just about everything, but am especially loving it at the mo for special gift ideas for those tricky to buy for people. I ended up choosing a meal at a local restaurant for a really great price. I thought it would be nice to have a date night in a few weeks that had already been paid for, so all we needed to do was to decide when we fancied going!
And these were the gifts he treated me to…
I felt very lucky when I opened my gifts, especially considering we agreed not to go too mad! They included a bottle of posh Amaretto, some chocolates and some lovely photos from our special day put in a gorgeous frame. And the paper aspect…he went for a newspaper from that day!
On the day
So the actual day of our anniversary fell on a random Tuesday, when we were both at work and would be the next day too. Whilst we would have loved to have gone to a snazzy hotel on our actual anniversary, we decided a nice meal out would do the job. We thought it would be a lovely idea to visit our wedding venue – somewhere we hadn’t returned to together since our special day. So we booked a table and visited on the evening of our anniversary. The food was fab and they even gave us a complimentary glass of bubbly each when they found out about our special occassion. We had a really lovely time and were glad that we did it.
It had been suggested by family that we might want to celebrate our anniversary even more by visiting a hotel and being pampered, so decided to have a look on Secret Escapes and book a spa hotel nearby. It was really lovely to continue the celebrations a few weeks after, as well as get a great deal at a hotel we had actually considered as a wedding venue! This was some of the incredible food we had.
So that was our anniversary! Now onto the tips…
My 5 top tips for celebrating your first wedding anniversary:
- Plan ahead. You’ll only ever get to have your first wedding anniversary once (hopefully!) so make sure you think about what you’d like to do and don’t leave it until the last-minute.
- Stick to the theme – paper. Obviously it isn’t compulsory, but it is a really lovely thing to stick to the traditional present ideas. It can provide inspiration as well as offering something a bit different when giving presents to your other half.
- DIY gifts. DIY and homemade gifts add a little extra and seem a bit more thoughtful. Of course shop bought gifts can be thoughtful too, but if you’ve made it yourself you’ve put a bit of love into it.
- Don’t spend too much. You might still be paying the wedding off, so don’t go to mad spending money on gifts, meals and hotel visits! Of course treat yourself, but at the end of the day its just nice to be together, wherever that may be.
- Don’t forget the card. Presents are nice, but it’s also fab to get a card from your other half. It’s a special day and its great to put into words how you feel about someone else.
So that’s my tips! Do you have any tips? Do you celebrate your wedding anniversaries if you are married? Let me know in the comments!
Until next time…